Friday, December 2, 2016

A Seaside Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We spent the long weekend on the west coast of Florida, visiting relatives and, of course, glassing.
Glassing?? Well...yes. Glassing is the term given to walking up and down a beach at low tide. head bent doggedly - sometimes painfully - down, looking for frosty glass fragments.



These are a few pieces that I've found along Ft. Lauderdale beach over the last year.
Yes. Three whole pieces. This seems to be rather a let down, compared to the glass filled beaches of California and the upper east coast of the US. However it was a bonanza compared to how we fared on the west coast of Florida!

After carefully preparing for my trip with hotel arrangements, etc, I scoured the internet trying to find out where the 'good' spots would be in that area. Some of the locations included, Anna Maria Island, Clearwater Beach and Honeymoon Island State Park. I downloaded a really nice Tidal App called 'Tides Near Me' to be able to tell, at a moments notice, when the next low tide would be. I scoped out a great lunch place to eat and then be able to walk out and do a little glassing on the trip up.

My daughter is the early riser in the family and she would faithfully wake me to get dressed and quietly sneak out of the hotel room so my son could sleep in, and we would drive to the beach to do a little walking and collecting. She also has started a new hobby of creating 'Beach Jars' from all the different beaches that we visit. We are having fun co-hobbying.

So...even though I came back empty handed, we found TONS of beautiful shells and we got to spend some nice mother-daughter bonding time. I am really looking forward to trying my hand at wire wrapping some of these recycled treasures from the ocean.
We truly have so much to be thankful for.

Be sure to visit Handmade Jewelry Haven's Etsy Shop!



Jewel Blog Sig photo Jewel Sig_zpsoi88flxw.png

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment